Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Tasty Lentil Tacos

I decided to enter my first food blog cooking challenge. Its called Recipe Remix and its all about cooking outside of the box. Basically, there are 5 different main dishes that are normal everyday foods in the US. I picked Tacos and set out to find a taco recipe that was different than anything I had ever tried. I found this recipe for Tasty Lentil Tacos from Allrecipes and I knew I needed to try these. I followed the recipe exactly, except we made them into tostadas since I already had tostada shells on hand and no taco shells. Also, the lentils needed to cook 20 minutes longer to get soft enough to mash so I needed to add more chicken broth to keep them cooking right. All in all, this turned out very good. It is definately not a subsitute for meat. Its just different. We really enjoyed these and they are a nice, light version of tacos. I will definatly make these in the future for some of my family members that I know LOVE lentils.

1 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup salsa
12 taco shells
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup chopped fresh tomato
1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
6 tablespoons fat free sour cream

In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Uncover; cook for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Mash lentils slightly.

Stir in salsa. Spoon about 1/4 cup lentil mixture into each taco shell. Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and sour cream.


Danielle said...

This looks great! Thanks for participating! I'm going to have to give this one a shot...I'm not normally a lintel fan but this looks super yummy!

Rachel said...

Thanks Danielle,
These dont taste like your every day lentils either! You should definatly try it out.