Thursday, April 17, 2008

Shrimp Ceviche

Tonight we had Carl's sister Audrey and her husband LaRue over for dinner. Carl requested that we have ceviche. I had made a great ceviche last year, but could not find the recipe anywhere. So I posted on The Nest that I was looking for a recipe and Nest Colleen, who writes a Dinner Q&A posted this recipe. I followed it almost to a tee, except I only used 1/2 the bunch of cilantro and I added about 1 tsp of Cholula hotsauce to give it a kick. Also, I used a yellow onion instead of a red one, because that was all I had on hand. Also, I didnt do the olive oil, just because I forgot all about it until later. It was still great! I served it with home made tostada shells. We had it for our main course and it was perfect. Light and healthy. Next time I will double the recipe because we had no leftovers. Ceviche is even better the next day! We will definately be having this one in the future! Everyone loved it!

Mike & Jan Thompson's Shrimp Ceviche
1 pound medium shrimp
3 limes, juiced
3 lemons, juiced
1 orange, juiced
1/2 cup seeded tomatoes cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 cup red onion cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 bunch cilantro, stemmed and chopped
1 Serrano chili, roughly chopped
1 large Hass avocado, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
large cucumber peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 ripe mango peeled and diced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Tortilla chips

In a large pot of boiling water, add the shrimp and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a bowl of ice water to chill.
Drain the shrimp, cut into 3/4-inch pieces and transfer to a bowl. Add the lime, lemon and orange juice, stir to combine and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Stir the tomato,onion, cilantro, salt and chili into shrimp mixture and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Prior to serving, stir in the avocado, cucumber and mango. Drizzle the olive oil over the mixture, stir gently and serve with tortilla chips.

No comments: