Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

I have to be honest that usually when I make pancakes, it is Bisquick mix. I love Bisquick and think its yummy. The only time I make pancakes from scratch is when I am out of Bisquick and then I realize that its not that much more work to just throw pancakes together from scratch. I usually do add blueberries. I chop them up in my food chopper because Sam doesnt like them whole in the pancakes. This recipe is from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook that Ive been using since I moved out of my parents house.

1 cup flour
2 Tbsp cornmeal
1 Tbsp sugar (I leave this out)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 beaten egg
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and set aside.

In another bowl, stir together the egg, buttermilk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (batter should be lumpy). Gently fold in blueberries.

For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greasted griddle or heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry.

No comments: