Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Poor Man's Beef Stroganoff

Beef Stroganoff is one of those staple meals that is quick and easy to throw together on a busy week night. I used to always make it with sliced steak. Now I usually make it with ground beef (hence the title) since that is how Carl and Sam prefer it. They think its too chewey with sliced beef. I dont mind because I think it pretty much tastes the same either way. Plus, its cheaper. With the growing prices at the grocery store, cooking balanced, healthy meals can get expensive. I make it the same way I used to, with onions, mushrooms and sour cream. We always eat beef stroganoff with steamed broccoli. I dont know why, but for some reason, it just goes together. I love it all mixed together on the plate.

Poor Man's Beef Stroganoff
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 cup beef broth
2 Tbsp tomatoe paste
1 Tbsp Worcheshire sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 lb wide egg noodles
chopped parsley to garnish

Brown beef with onions until cooked through. Drain fat. Add mushrooms and beef broth. Cook 5-10 minutes, until liquid reduces and thickens. Cook noodles according to package directions. Add tomato paste and Worcheshire sauce to meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in sour cream just before serving. Let the mixture heat back up but dont let it boil or the sour cream could curdle. Serve over egg noodles and steamed broccoli. Sprinkle parsley to taste.



No comments: