Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Overnight Blueberry French Toast


I decided to try out my first overnight French toast last night. I found this recipe at Allrecipes.com and tweaked it to my liking. One thing that has always turned me off to overnight French toast is the soggy factor. I hate soggy French toast. I never soak my bread at all. I just dip it and fry it because I hate when the middle is eggy and soggy. So, this time I found a recipe that got a lot of reviews that said it wasn't soggy at all. I have to say, it was still a bit soggier than my liking, but it was still really really good. It was more like a blueberry bread pudding with crispy edges. We all had seconds, and there was none left. I think Charlie ate as much and Carl and I. The next time I make this, which will be soon, I will just cut the bread and prepare the egg mixture the night before, but not soak the bread in it all night. I will just pour the eggs over the bread in the morning and bake it and I think that will take away any sogginess at all.

I halved the recipe, so that is what I will put here. It was just enough for the 4 of us. Id probably make a little more next time.

  • 1/2 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut diagonally in 1 inch slices
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Butter a 9x9 baking dish. (I sprinkled cinnamon sugar on the bottom and sides) Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom. Sprinkle with blueberries, making sure to get them in between the bread layers. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, take french toast out of fridge. Let it set out why you preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.