Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Migas Arizona Style




I had never even heard of Migas until the other day when I was reading Homesick Texan. She had the most beautiful recipe for a Tex-Mex breakfast I have ever seen. Growing up and living in Arizona, I have always loved Mexican food and foods from the Southwest. I was suprised that Migas are such a staple for breakfast in Texas since Ive never heard of it. I had most of the ingredients on hand so I decided to try out my own version and see how it went. I have to say it was absolutly delicious!!! It was kind of like Juevos Rancheros with suprises of crispy fried corn tortilla in every bite! So good! You have to try this one out. I just love this pic below with Charlie watching me cook. I get him all set up in his highchair like that so I can cook and keep an eye on him at the same time:)


Migas AZ Style

4 eggs
2 Tbsp whole milk
2 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch thick strips
2 Tbsp peanut oil
3 green onions with stems, chopped
2 Tbsp canned chopped green chilis
1/4-1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper
salsa and sour cream to taste
hot flour tortillas for serving

Whisk the eggs with the milk and salt and pepper and set aside. In a skillet, heat peanut oil until hot, then fry tortillas for a couple minutes turning once. Add onions to the pan and let cook for a minute. Add eggs and let cook until set on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Stir the eggs gently, breaking up the tortillas a bit. When the eggs are almost done, add the green chilis and top with cheese. Let it melt and stir it, then top with a bit more cheese. Serve it with cilantro, salsa and sour cream to taste.

1 comment:

Risa said...

I'm so terribly homesick from AZ!! I just love this dish, I'm trying it soon! Keep the AZ recipes coming. All I'm around is corn!