Saturday, May 03, 2008

My Grandma's Buttermilk Biscuits


Years ago, my Grandma Lumpkin gave me a cook book that she had written in hand, of family recipes. This is her recipe for buttermilk biscuits. The cooking temp is high, at 450 and the time was for 12-15 minutes. I'm glad I checked them at 8 minutes because they were already too done. So they turned out a bit dry. I think next time I will cook them at 400. We had these with breakfast this morning with butter and jam and eggs and bacon. I didn't have enough eggs, so I decided to make some biscuits to be a filler. I threw the dry ingredients together in a bowl last night and when I got up this morning, it was easy to prepare the rest.


Buttermilk Biscuits

2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 C. cold shortening
1 C. buttermilk

Sift dry ingredients. Cut in shortening. Add buttermilk all at once. stir until dough follows fork around bowl. Roll dough 3/8" thick. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in oven 450 12-15 minutes. This would have been way too long. Watch them carefully.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nummy! Never thought of trying bacon on a nice buttery biscuit; sounds soo good! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!... and pretty easy too. Thanks for sharing :).

Anonymous said...

Having a cookbook like that seems like such a great treasure to have. You are lucky your Grandmother passed that down to you!