Friday, May 23, 2008

Black Bean Confetti Salad

In another blog that I read, Smitten Kitchen, there was a post about 30 ways to be a great guest and it had pics of 30 salads or things to bring to a party. This one jumped out at me. It reminds me of a salad that my Aunt Viola brought to a recent family party. We decided that we are grilling all weekend and I thought this salad would be perfect with the Grilled Tequila Lime Shrimp we are also having. It is light and fresh and healthy and full of flavor. I love it. This salad can be a dip for chips or just a great dish on its own. I halved the recipe, but kept the original amount of dressing, since I always like extra dressing. I didnt have ground cayenne so I added 2 tsp Franks Red Hot sauce. I added grilled corn and 2 Tbsp of orange juice to give it some sweetness. I also used 2 limes instead of 1. I felt like it was almost perfect, but needed something else sweet. Maybe next time I will add a diced up mango. I also think it would be divine with some avocado. This is so versatile! I will definitely make this one again and again.

Adapted from this recipe

Black Bean Confetti Salad

2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and well-rinsed
4 bell peppers, a mix of colors, chopped into a small dice
1/2 super-large or 1 medium white onion, chopped into a small dice
1/2 cup cooked grilled corn from the cob, cooled.
Juice of 2 limes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon cayenne (I used 2 tsp Franks Red Hot sauce, but we like some heat)
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Mix beans, bell peppers and white onion and corn in a large bowl. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk remaining ingredients into a vinaigrette. Ideally, you’ll have a 1/2 cup of dressing. Pour it over the bean mixture, toss it well and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve by itself as a salad, or as a dip with chips, or even as a topping on a green salad.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I plan on trying this because the one I tried from Allrecipes.com doesn't come out as consistent as I'd like. Thanks for sharing!