Sunday, March 23, 2008

Spanish Tortillas


From Everyday with Rachael Ray April 2006. http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/fish-shrimp-recipes/smoked-salmon-spanish-tortilla/article.html I thought it was delicious! I used sweet onions and they were so good. They caramelized so nicely on the bottom of the pan. Carl wasnt so keen on it though. He said it was bland. I say, use some salt then!

1/3 cup olive oil
2 spanish onions
5 medium russet potatoes
Salt and fresh pepper
6 ounces sliced smoked salmon
7 large eggs

In a 12-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until it ripples. Lower the heat to medium and add a layer of onions. Top with a thin layer of potato slices, season with salt and pepper, then add another layer of onions, potatoes, salt and pepper. Add the smoked salmon in a single layer. Continue layering the onions and potatoes, seasoning as you go. Let the layers cook, pressing down gently to flatten. After 10 minutes, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the vegetables soften, up to 25 minutes more. Remove from the heat.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and pour them into the skillet, lifting the layers with a spatula to let the eggs in. Jiggle the skillet to prevent sticking. Return to low heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and shake gently.

Preheat the broiler. Place the skillet about 3 inches from the heat and cook until golden, about 6 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes. Shake the pan gently to loosen the tortilla, place a serving plate over the top and flip to release.

I only used 4 potatos because there just wasnt enough room in my pan. I ended up only using 5 eggs since I had used less potatos. I also mixed some Franks Red Hot sauce into the eggs to give it a bit of a kick. Oh and I had no salmon, so I used some jamon serrano (Spanish style cured ham) and chopped it up for the filling.

No comments: