Thursday, June 26, 2008

Yummy Lentils


I decided today that Id make lentils for dinner and when I went to search for it on allrecipes, or anywhere online, mostly what I found was lentil soups. I wanted something more like what my stepmom, Fran used to make us. Thick lentils over rice. I apologize for the picture, but its really hard to get a nice picture of lentils. Its just not that pretty!

Since I never did find a recipe that satisfied what I was craving, I decided to wing it and see what I could come up with. I must say that it was very good and exactly what I was wanting it to taste like, texture was spot on as well. I used a mixture of veggie and chicken broths and some water. For the garlic, I used 3 cubes of frozen garlic from Trader Joe's since I was in a hurry. Also, I didnt have time to peel tomatoes, so I just cut them in half and grated them like my sister always does in Spain. She never buys canned tomatoes there. She always grates fresh ones, and as you grate it, the skin naturally comes off. Its actually a neat little trick.

We served this over jasmine brown rice. It was rich and tasty and very healthy. I loved it and so did Charlie. He ate a huge serving.

2 large carrots, thinly sliced
3 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
1 sm onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups veggie broth (I use the savory veggie broth liquid concentrate from TJ's)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 cup lentils, rinsed
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Splash a tbsp or more of olive oil in a hot pan let heat for a few seconds, then add onions, carrots and celery and saute for several minutes until crisp tender. Add garlic and saute another minute. Add Tomatoe and liquids and bring to a boil. Add lentils and cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover, simmering for 1 hr. Check it every 10 minutes to stir it. In the last 30 minutes, add water by 1/2 cups if you need more liquids. Its done when the lentils are soft, but still holding their shape. It should be the thickness of a stew. Serve it over rice or noodles.

1 comment:

Ally said...

MMMMM! I love lentils and rice, yours look mouth watering!