Monday, June 23, 2008

Dill Pickle Chips

I really love pickles. Dill pickles, sweet pickles..pretty much any kind. When I was pregnant with Charlie I ate Claussen pickles quite a bit. I saw this recipe for pickles in a blog I read often called Good Things Catered. I knew that I wanted to try them out and I am so glad I did. They are so easy and yummy! They taste alot like the Claussen pickles and are very crisp. The original recipe says to cut the pickles into 1/2 inch slices, but I used my mandolin and my slices were very thin, less than 1/4 inch. Since my slices were much thinner, they only took 1 day to be ready to eat. These are so good!!

Dill Pickle Chips
Martha Stewart

Ingredients:
2 lbs. Kirby pickles
3 Tbsp coarse salt (I use Kosher)
2 c. distilled white vinegar
1 Tbsp dill seed
4 cloves garlic
2 bunches fresh dill, coarsely chopped

Directions:
-Cut the cucumbers into 1/2-inch-thick rounds, and transfer to a colander set in a bowl.
-Toss well with salt.
-Refrigerate cucumber rounds 1 hour.
-Rinse cucumber rounds well; drain.
-Pat dry between paper towels. Transfer cucumber slices to a large bowl.
-Bring 3 cups water, vinegar, dill seed, and garlic to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring.
-Reduce heat; simmer 4 minutes.
-Let mixture cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
-Add chopped dill to cucumber slices, and toss to combine.
-Pour in the brine.
-Let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
-Transfer mixture to airtight container(s), and refrigerate at least 1 week (pickles will keep 3 weeks more).

(makes 2 quarts)



3 comments:

nicole said...

those look great! and I love your pics :)

Anonymous said...

OOooh!! I love how thin those are! They look absolutely delicious!!!

~Amber~ said...

I think I would prefer the thin ones myself. They look amazing! I love Clausen pickles.