Friday, April 18, 2008

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles

I decided to make waffles today. I rarely make them because I dont like only making 1 waffle at a time. Id rather have 8 pancakes going on the griddle instead. But today I got out the trusty old waffle iron. I have a nice one that was a wedding present. Its a Vintantonio Premier Five of Hearts Waffler. I love this little machine. It has never made anything except perfectly cooked waffles. I had Sam pull up a chair and we made these together. Adapted from this recipe.

1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 Tbsp cornmeal
1 Tbsp flaxmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup whole milk
1 large egg
2 Tbsp melted butter

In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, milk, egg and melted butter. Pour all at once into dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Pour onto hot waffle iron in 1/4 cupfuls. Cook until golden and crispy.

No comments: