Friday, August 08, 2008

Hoisin Mahi Mahi with polenta fries and green beans


Tonight's meal was really good. I made up a sauce with hoisin and soy sauce and I was planning on grilling these babies, but then I didnt feel like standing outside in the 110 degree heat, so I heated up my kitchen with the oven instead! Anyways, the mahi mahi turned out so good. Just the right amout of sweet and salty and spicy! The sauce was yummy, but could probably be scaled way down. I wrote out the measurements I used, but I had least half of the sauce left over.

I made the polenta fries from some polenta that I made earlier today from scratch that I let set up, then sliced into 1/2 inch slices. I plan on doing a whole entry just on polenta, so I will have the entire recipe there. These polenta fries were just fried in olive oil until crisp, then seasoned with plenty of salt and pepper and topped with parmesan cheese. Yummy! And the green beans were just steamed and tossed in butter, salt and pepper. What a great meal. Even Sam at every single bite, so that means it was a good one.

Hoisin Mahi Mahi

4 mahi mahi fillets, 1/2 inch thick
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1 T sugar

Season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper.

Whisk together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, water, sesame oil and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Lightly brush the sauce onto both sides of the fish. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I like using hoisin as a glaze... and we refer to it at our house as "chinese ketchup" - lol

pete said...

Thanks for the recipe! I took yours and modified it with what I had around the kitchen. Here's the way it unraveled via Twitter:

# bought some mahi-mahi from costco... i am ruminating on how to prepare it w/ what I've got here at home...

# trying my mahi-mahi w/: salt/pepper, orange marmalade, hoisin sauce, and kiwi in a toaster oven! i'll let you know how it turns out...

# http://twitpic.com/2jwnq - my-my... mahi-mahi... looks delish? TASTES AMAZING!!! (I'm rather impressed w/ myself!)