Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chicken Chilaquiles

Ive always wanted to try out a Chilaquiles recipe. I found this one on Martha Stewart's website. I was planning on following it to a tee, but then I accidently licked a bit of the adobo sauce from the chipolte peppers after I had chopped them and my entire mouth was on fire! Since I was expecting my kids to eat this, I decided to replace the chipolte peppers and adobo sauce with a can of diced green chiles. Also, I used Queso Fresco cheese instead of Feta cheese, I cant imagine eating Feta cheese in Mexican food.

This recipe turned out really good. My only complaint is that there wasnt very much. I only used 2 cups of shredded chicken. Even so, I used a larger can of tomatos than the recipe called for and I used a whole can of chicken broth, in place of the 1 cup of water. It was barely enough for 3 people. Next time I will definitely double the recipe. We all liked it.

Chicken Chilaquiles
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes in puree
  • 1 can diced green chilis
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • Coarse salt
  • 1 small cooked rotisserie chicken (about 1 3/4 pounds), skinned and shredded (about 4 cups), carcass discarded
  • 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves, chopped, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
  • 4 cups (about 3 ounces) tortilla chips
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1.75 ounces Queso Fresco cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
  1. Combine oil and garlic in a large (3-to-4-quart) saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and sizzling, 1 to 2 minutes.
  2. Add tomatoes with their puree (breaking tomatoes up), green chilis, and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil; season with salt. Reduce heat and simmer rapidly until lightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
  3. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until hot, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in chopped cilantro.
  4. Divide chips among four shallow bowls; top with chicken mixture and sauce. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, sour cream, and cheese. Serve.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel - it's Laurel here! The chilaquiles recipe in Bon Appetit Fresh & Easy cookbook is a good one too.

Glenna said...

Rachel, This was so yummy! Thanks for having me over for it. Mom

Zoe said...

yumm!!

Anne said...

Hi Rachel!!
I thought that was you writing on my blog!! I love your cooking blog...I am going to scavenge some sweet recipes from it while we are here in Africa, and at home!

I haven't read either of the books you mentioned, so send away! They would be so appreciated.

I miss that we do not live in the same place to have been able to develop our relationship more, but I'll be your long distance blog buddy for sure!

Anne

Teresa said...

This looks delicious! Can't wait to try it. :-)