Ortega Taco Casserole (original recipe)
1 cup (1 small) chopped onion (I also added 1 cup diced bell pepper)
1 package Taco Seasoning Mix
2 cups Mild Cheddar Cheese, divided
Preheat your oven to 375º F.
- Cook beef, onion (and bellpeppers) and garlic in a large saucepan until beef is browned.
- Stir in water, taco sauce, chilies, 1/4 cup olives and seasoning mix.
- Let this simmer over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Lay out half of the broken shells on the bottom of a greased 12 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Cover with half of the meat sauce. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese, then repeat with remaining taco shells, meat sauce and cheese to create layers of the different ingredients.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Top the casserole with tomatoes and green onions and sour cream.